By National Fire Protection Association
Candles may be pretty to look at, but they are a cause of home fires — and home fire deaths. Remember, a candle is an open flame, which means that it can easily ignite anything that can burn.
“Candle WITH CARE”
- Blow out all candles when you leave the room or go to bed. Avoid the use of candles in the bedroom and other areas where people may fall asleep.
- Keep candles at least 1 foot (30 centimeters) away from anything that can burn.
Think about using flameless candles in your home. They look and smell like real candles.
If you do burn candles, make sure that you…
- Use candle holders that are sturdy, and won’t tip over easily.
- Put candle holders on a sturdy, uncluttered surface.
- Light candles carefully. Keep your hair and any loose clothing away from the flame.
- Don’t burn a candle all the way down — put it out before it gets too close to the holder or container. • Never use a candle if oxygen is used in the home.
- Have flashlights and battery-powered lighting ready to use during a power outage. Never use candles.
Candles and Kids
Never leave a child alone in a room with a burning candle. Keep matches and lighters up high and out of children’s reach, in a locked cabinet.
- December is the peak month for home candle fires.
- More than one-third of home candle fires started in the bedroom.
- Three of every five candle fires start when things that can burn are too close to the candle.
Join Our Team
Join the VSC family and find more than just a job; find a rewarding career.Available Opportunities
Subscribe to get the latest company news and fire safety tips for your business.Sign Up